Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Badger to the Test

While on a recent 5-day trip to a beach location, I got my first chance to really put the all-natural Badger SPF 30 sunscreen to the test. On the first morning of my trip, I slathered on the cream and ended up looking a little like a Casper-version of myself until the sunscreen absorbed after 15 minutes or so. At the beach, I spent about 20 minutes in the water before coming out and covering myself with my sun hat and Linda parasol. I made the mistake of not reapplying because I was covered up by my hat and parasol, and it was starting to look like rain and we were going to leave. I also figured there was still some juice left in the sunscreen, which promises 40 minutes of safe wear in the water (I had only been in the water for half that time). I'm usually a fervent re-applier, but I was lazy with the Badger because it took a considerable time to apply it and you definitely need a second person to help you out your back. I have unusually long arms and with normal, spreadable sunscreen, I can get to the difficult spots on my back with some effort. With Badger, the cream was so thick it would travel only a few inches before proving unyielding to anymore spreading. The end result of my first day of use: a moderate sunburn on my shoulders. I've burned only one other time in my life (at a practice for high school graduation) and to repeat it again on a vacation was not pleasant. I can't completely blame the burn on my sunscreen because I should have reapplied, but had it been an easier cream to spread, I would have been more likely to do this.

I would also like to note that I DO NOT recommend this sunscreen for use on your face. One of the ingredients in it is olive oil and that this doesn't strike me as non-commodogenic. I did put a little sunscreen on my forehead to test it out, and while I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or the fault of the sunscreen, three tiny pimples sprouted on my forehead. I will stick to my EltaMD for my face.

So, what is the verdict on the Badger sunscreen? It's fine for everyday use on your chest, arms and legs, but it wouldn't be my first choice for the beach or any other situation that requires complete reapplication. Perhaps the cream would spread more easily if you leave it in a warm place to soften, but I'll go back to using some Neutrogena sunscreens (especially the sprays!) in conjunction with the Badger for future beach use.

On a positive note, I did try Badger's sunscreen lip balm and loved it. I wouldn't use it as my everyday lip balm because it leaves a noticeable white layer on your lips, but for the beach or the water, it was great. It had a pleasant taste and eventually absorbed, leaving it only slightly noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment