Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tan People Get Skin Cancer, Too

Did you know Bob Marley died of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer? You may find this surprising because of his darker skin color. Don't only Caucasians get skin cancer? The answer is no.

I'm a proud Mexican-American who has taken care of her skin since age 12, partly out of vanity and partly out of concern for cancer. My non-Hispanic friends have always asked, "Why are you worried skin cancer? Your skin type can handle the sun." While it is true that my olive skin can usually handle limited sun exposure, I've been a victim of sunburn twice in my life (see previous post) and have several freckles and some small sunspots on my face as a result of sun damage (even after years of using sunscreen!). Clearly, I'm not immune to the sun's damaging rays, despite my tan skin. And we all know that just five sunburns can double your risk of skin cancer, which means I've raised my risk for the disease substantially with just those two burns!

According to an article by the Skin Cancer Foundation, many ethnic people and dermatologists often overlook the skin cancer risk in this group of people. While skin cancers rates are quite low among ethnic people, the rates are rising each year, especially in sunny areas. Also, non-Caucasians have disproportionately higher mortality rates because of delayed cancer screenings and treatments due to the perceived notion that it is a Caucasian phenomenon. Considering that by 2050 the US Census Bureau predicts that 50% of the US population will be Asian, African-American or Hispanic, it is especially critical to raise skin cancer awareness among non-Caucasians and have these groups adopt better skin practices.

I advise ALL PEOPLE to follow a healthy skin regimen that includes sunscreen, sunglasses, protective clothing/accessories, a nutritious diet and lots of hydration.

Consult the table below to see where certain skin cancers tend to appear among ethnic people. Click on this link for the full Skin Cancer Foundation article.


No comments:

Post a Comment